Saturday 19 January 2013

Sangri-yaaah two ways



I am partial to a good fact, aren't we all? Got my repetoire of four of five stored in my mind should I ever become wildly famous and have to pop out a seemingly pointless bit of trivia. You should do likewise; take the following example as a word of warning.

I was utterly disheartened yesterday when the 8 proposed CU exec team were interviewed about their positions, and had to include a "fun fact". Instead of a fun fact we got a series of answers ranging from "I'm about as interesting as a polystyrene cup" to "I play hockey". Discounting the fact that polystyrene cups are strangely fascinating and have arguably many uses, the only fact here is that hockey is neither fun nor particularly unique enough to warrant a 'fun fact' (unless that signals a broader cultural shift wherein exercise is seen as the exception rather than the norm, in which case I fear for the world) .  To the girl who said a squirrel once bounced off her head, I applaud you. To the rest of you - don't be counting on my vote any time soon. Just egg yolkin' ya (rhyming cockney slang for 'joking', goodtimes), but seriously, a good fact = instant crowd winner.



So to our first bevvie, and could it get much better? Ladies and gents, I give you not one, but two Sangrias!

Passionfruit OR cranberry? In my house, the unanimous winner was... the passionfruit!! But in case you're not a fan of white wine, a bit of red doesn't go amiss.

And two complimentary facts on the house!
  1. Sangria means 'bloody' in Spanish
  2. The cheeky boys down in Vatican city are the biggest consumers of wine in the world! Move over France, the Catholics don't do any job half-heartedly.
 NB: Next time I'll cut the fruit much smaller so people can actually eat it!

 

Passionfruit Sangria

1 Bottle sweet white wine
3 cups passionfruit juice (I skimped and bought juice drink)
2 cups pineapple juice
1 cup ginger ale, soda water or limeade
2 limes
2 kiwi fruit, 1 apple, 1 orange (or whatever fruit you want)

Squeeze & reserve the juice of one lime. Cut the rest of the fruit into small pieces. Mix lime juice, fruit and all liquids together, except the ginger ale. Chill in fridge overnight if possible. Add ginger ale just before serving.

Cranberry Ginger Sangria

1 Bottle red wine
1 litre cranberry juice drink
3 cups ginger ale
2 cups orange juice
3 tbsp sugar
Juice 1 lime
1 orange, 1-2 lemons, 1 apple (or whatever fruit you want)

Chop up fruit into small pieces. Mix all liquids and fruit except the ginger ale. Chill overnight if possible. Add ginger ale just before serving.



Receive free, regular updates and recipe ideas by subscribing to this blog!



1 comment:

  1. I actually don't mind have 2 - 3 glasses of it.
    Thank you for linking it to my event .
    Do link back to the announcement page

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...